Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - RFA, VOA agency fires back



RFA, VOA agency fires back

RFA, VOA agency fires back

The Broadcasting Board of Governors, an independent US agency that oversees government-sponsored stations Radio Free Asia and Voice of America, has hit back after the Cambodian government accused the broadcasters of being tools of the opposition.

In a statement released Thursday, BBG chair Jeffrey Shell rejected a report released by the Council of Ministers last week accusing RFA and VOA of broadcasting biased information favouring the Cambodia National Rescue Party and news that had been “fabricated and manipulated”.

“The report released by the Cambodian Council of Ministers on Jan. 28, 2014 with unsubstantiated claims of bias, is a troubling extension of a pattern of threats, attempts at intimidation, targeting of journalists and restrictions on independent media in Cambodia,” Shell said.

The statement also noted the government’s denial of a TV licence and expanded radio frequencies for Mam Sonando’s Beehive Radio, the violent dispersal of his supporters at a protest last week and attacks on journalists covering recent demonstrations.

“The Board is concerned over ongoing efforts to threaten and intimidate independent media,” the statement said.

In June last year, the BBG condemned a government directive banning foreign radio broadcasts – including RFA and VOA – for 31 days prior to the election. The ban, which was quickly rescinded, was also sharply criticised by the US State Department.

Both RFA and VOA have previously come under government fire for allegedly partisan broadcasting, but last week Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan said they had become “worse” since the July election.

He added, however, that no efforts would be made to gag the broadcasters.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not