Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ride workers charged in tourist death

Ride workers charged in tourist death

Ride workers charged in tourist death

Three workers manning a roller coaster at an amusement park in Siem Reap town have been arrested and charged with the unintentional death of a Japanese tourist after she died from her injuries when the ride crashed over the weekend, Siem Reap deputy police chief Thoeung Chendarith said.

“The controller did not care much about customer safety. They should carefully check all the parts of the machine as well as the seat of the rollercoaster before allowing customers to ride on it,” he said, adding that a safety bolt in the front car, where 21-year-old tourist Saki Rakita sat with her Cambodian tour guide, was broken.

Chendarith said Rakita and her guide were in the front car on Friday evening when it broke off of the track mid-ride.

The guide is recovering in Siem Reap provincial hospital, according to his younger brother, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

In an earlier report, the Post erroneously reported that the three workers had been questioned and released.

The court charged them on Sunday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen’s China visit ‘a good opportunity’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen’s visit to Beijing on Sunday to discuss economic and trade issues presents a good opportunity for the Kingdom to strengthen Chinese ties and counter punitive measures by the West, an analyst says. The prime minister’s four-day official visit to

  • ‘Action needed to stop road deaths doubling by next year’

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng has expressed concern over the rate of traffic accidents, saying the death toll will double by 2020 if no effective preventive measures were put in place. At least five people on average are killed on Cambodian roads every day. The interior

  • Cambodian rice to lose EU duty-free status

    The Cambodian rice sector is set to lose its duty-free export status to the EU today – its major rice market – after the European bloc decided to impose tariffs on rice from Cambodia and Myanmar to curb a surge in such imports. The decision will be

  • Ministry to lose $60M a year in revenue

    The Ministry of Commerce will lose $60 million in revenue annually after the government eliminated export procedures in a campaign to boost competitiveness, a senior official at the ministry has said. Speaking at a press conference on Friday regarding the EU’s decision to impose safeguard