Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rights group calls for activists’ release

Rights group calls for activists’ release

Rights group calls for activists’ release

International rights groups issued an “urgent appeal” this week for the release of three environmental activists in Koh Kong province imprisoned in August over their anti-sand dredging activities.

The Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders – a joint program of the International Federation for Human Rights and the World Organisation Against Torture – expressed concern at the “continued harassment” of detained environmentalists Sim Somnang, Tri Sovikea and San Mala, who are all affiliated with local NGO Mother Nature.

“The Observatory strongly condemns the ongoing harassment against Mother Nature, in particular the arbitrary detention and judicial harassment of [the trio] which only aim at sanctioning their legitimate human rights activities,” it said in a statement on Monday, following further questioning of the group last week at the Koh Kong court.

“The Observatory calls on the Cambodian authorities to release them immediately and unconditionally, and drop all charges against them.”

The men have been detained alongside another prominent activist who was jailed last month for alleged forest crimes.

MOST VIEWED

  • Shanxi wins bid to build sections of new Siem Reap airport

    Shanxi Mechanization Construction Group recently won the bid to build two sections of the new Siem Reap Angkor International Airport project in Cambodia for 290 million yuan ($42.16 million). The existing Angkor International Airport in Siem Reap, 5km from the famous ancient temple complex and world tourism

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said