Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rights group says Battambang villagers wrongly sentenced

Rights group says Battambang villagers wrongly sentenced

Rights group says Battambang villagers wrongly sentenced

Five-year jail sentence handed down to villagers is baseless and overlooks blatant land-grabbing by an RCAF official, Adhoc says.

LOCAL rights group Adhoc says the conviction of five villagers in Battambang last week for robbery is an attempt by the RCAF official who pressed charges to threaten and discredit a community whose land he has illegally appropriated.

The provincial court last Thursday sentenced the villagers to a five-year prison sentence and ordered them to collectively pay US$13,000 in compensation to Som Vannthoeun, who works at the Inspection Department of the Army Command Headquarters.  Four of the men were sentenced in absentia.

"The decision by the court on February 19 is not just because it is baseless," said the statement.

Long Lon, a lawyer provided to the villagers by Adhoc, said the conviction of robbery was unacceptable because the convicted individuals did not rob plantiff Som Vannthoeun, but Som Vanntheoun seized property of the convicted individuals violently. "The sentence is groundless," he said.

Adhoc also called on the Appeal Court to open an investigation into the case to give justice to the five convicted.

Villagers beg for PM's help

Some 100 villagers representing the 415 families from the Daunba commune area protested Monday and Tuesday outside Hun Sen's house in Takhmao, petitioning for intervention by the prime minister.

Villager Un Sony said that since 2006, Som Vanthoeun had prohibited villagers from farming their fields because he claimed ownership of them.

"We are not allowed to work on our farmland," he said, adding that people have turned to finding wood and picking vegetables for living.

"They even burned down our homes and arrested our people."

Som Vannthoeun said he was satisfied with the verdict.

"Provincial authorities have found justice for me," he said. "They robbed my farm, taking machines, oil and 30 pieces of zinc."

Judge Nov Yarath, who presided over the hearing Thursday, could not be contacted for comment Tuesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked