Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Road expansion to be scaled back

Road expansion to be scaled back

Road expansion to be scaled back

We have restored ties in the diplomatic sector ... but other sectors remain unchanged.

RESIDENTS living along a section of National Road 6 in Phnom Penh’s Russey Keo district applauded Prime Minister Hun Sen’s recommendation yesterday to scale back plans to widen the road, thus avoiding the destruction of numerous businesses and homes.

The decision was announced yesterday after the Prime Minister made a surprise visit to Russey Keo district hall, where he and local officials agreed that an approximately 1-kilometre stretch of the road should be expanded by only 15 metres from the existing sidewalks on each side.

Previously, a 4-kilometre stretch of the road was to be expanded by 25 metres on both sides in an effort to ease traffic jams outside the city.

Nuth Put Dara, Russey Keo’s deputy district governor, said that the reduced expansion would only apply to about 1 kilometre of the road, a stretch that passed through a populated area.

“Our plan now is to only expand the road by 15 metres from the bridge to Dos Sit clinic,” he said.

Chan Vuthy, 42, who owns an electrical repair shop in Kean Klaing village, Chruoy Changvar commune, said that “many people” living along National Road 6 were happy with the Prime Minister’s recommendation because they were optimistic that the move would likely spare their homes and businesses.

“It is like I have won thousands of dollars in the lottery,” he said.

“We are all pleased to cooperate even though I will still lose part of my shop.”

Instead of being forced to demolish most of his shop, Chan Vuthy will now need only to move his front entrance back about 2 metres.

“I think that the previous decision to take 25 metres of land would have had significant effects on future election results because villagers would have been very unhappy,” he said.

Kong Mony, a 27-year-old electrical equipment dealer from Kean Klaing village, also said that she was pleased the road expansion had been scaled back because it meant that she would not lose her business.

“Before, when I was told to move backward 25 metres, I felt really depressed because I have nothing besides this land, which I spent all my money to buy,” she said.

However, she said that her wooden home had already been demolished on the order of local authorities. She said that “development projects should only occur with the approval of citizens”.

Compensation question
To date, villagers say that Russey Keo district authorities have forced about 90 families in Kean Klaing village to tear down their houses.

The families had been promised US$477 in compensation and 6-by-12-metre plots of land in Kandal province’s Ponhea Leu district. It would now appear, however, that at least some of these families were forced to tear down their homes unnecessarily.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman