Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Roads into razed area hit obstacle

Roads into razed area hit obstacle

Roads into razed area hit obstacle

AUTHORITIES in Russey Keo district say they want to create more access routes for vehicles into the fire-gutted Chraing Chamres II commune area but find it too difficult to work with the area’s residents.

“We want to construct five or six roads into the razed area, but [the construction] affects residents, so they protested against us,” said Kob Sles, deputy governor of Russey Keo.

In November, a fire in the district destroyed more than 200 homes and left almost 2,000 people homeless.

Kob Sles said that, to build the roads, many families would be forced to give up one to two square metres of their land.

“Some people are OK to give us one square metre of their land, but some want us to compensate them. They should just provide the one small metre for the benefit of their village,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa