Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rockets destroy truck convoy



Rockets destroy truck convoy

Rockets destroy truck convoy

A FREIGHT convoy of seven trucks was ambushed and destroyed by Khmer Rouge

soldiers while heading from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh on Highway 4 according

to a report in Reasmey Kampuchea newspaper.

The report said about 40 KR

soldiers armed with B40 rocket launchers and AK47's stopped the convoy on May 25

at 7 am at Tanay village, Prey Nop district.

The soldiers forced all the

drivers to leave their trucks and then sprayed machine gun fire over three

trucks loaded with canned fish. They then used explosives to destroy the other

four trucks which were loaded with cement. No one was injured or abducted .

The report said district soldiers later emerged on the scene

counterattacking the KR for about an hour driving them back into the jungle. By

10 am the security on the road had been restored.

The report added that

KR soldiers stopped two government soldiers, transporting rice on a cart, at

Tanay village an hour before the convoy arrived.

The government soldiers

were not physically harmed but were intimidated and forced to undress and go

back to Sihanoukville in their underwear.

Analysts say the KR are

deliberately targeting Highway 4 because it is an important link to the

development of the national economy.

The KR have been accused of

abducting three foreigners, Australian Kelly Wilkinson, her British boyfriend

Dominic Chappell, and British friend Tina Dominy while traveling on the same

route on April 11.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and