Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rohingya refugee still waiting on trip home




Rohingya refugee still waiting on trip home

Rohingya refugee still waiting on trip home

A Rohingya refugee who has chosen to leave Cambodia rather than stay as part of a controversial resettlement deal with Australia will have to wait at least another 20 days to return to Myanmar, a government official said yesterday.

Interior Ministry spokesman General Khieu Sopheak said Cambodian authorities had arranged an exit visa for the refugee but had been told by Myanmar authorities that the necessary paperwork was still being processed.

“He’s waiting for the passport or travel documents from Myanmar,” Sopheak said. “The paperwork is in Yangon.… 10 days ago they said at least one month.”

Earlier this month, Second Secretary at the Myanmar Ministry of Foreign Affairs Moe Htet Kyaw confirmed that the refugee, one of four to arrive under the deal in June, had requested through the embassy on August 7 to return home.

The revelation came amid reports the A$40 million ($28 million) deal to settle refugees held by Australia on the island of Nauru was in jeopardy after only four arrivals.

However, the Cambodian government has since revealed four more volunteers, including another Rohingya, who they will soon interview.

Starting from last year, thousands of Muslim Rohingyas in Buddhist-majority Myanmar have fled the country – where they are denied citizenship – in a bid to escape pervasive discrimination.

Speaking yesterday, Ian Rintoul, spokesman for the Refugee Action Coalition, said that without very specific arrangements, the repatriation did not appear something that could work in practice.

The Myanmar Embassy did not respond yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for PP kidnapping

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia