Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rong Chhun turns to old textbook in Koh Tral fight

Rong Chhun turns to old textbook in Koh Tral fight

Rong Chhun turns to old textbook in Koh Tral fight

A high school textbook that is almost 30 years old proves Cambodian land was lost to Vietnam under Prime Minister Hun Sen, Cambodia Watchdog Council Rong Chhun claimed yesterday. The book, used to teach seventh-graders geography under Hun Sen’s Ministry of Education in 1985, says the island of Koh Tral belonged to Cambodia at the time, Chhun said. Hun Sen has long held that Cambodia lost the land to Vietnam in the 1960s under King Norodom Sihanouk’s rule. The premier last week said that members of the opposition party who say they will seek repatriation of the land from Vietnam could provoke a war. Not impressed by the book Chhun found, minister in charge of border affairs, Va Kimhong, said the land was, indeed, lost before Hun Sen came to power.

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • China steel company relocates to Cambodia

    Chinese state-owned iron and steel company China Baowu Steel Group Corp Ltd has unveiled plans to relocate its blast furnaces from Xinjiang Autonomous Region in the northwest of China to Cambodia, which will be the first overseas Baowu production plant, a Reuters report on Wednesday

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on