Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rosewood, first-grade timber seized in busts




Rosewood, first-grade timber seized in busts

Authorities sort through confiscated rosewood in Kampong Chhnang province on Wednesday. Photo supplied
Authorities sort through confiscated rosewood in Kampong Chhnang province on Wednesday. Photo supplied

Rosewood, first-grade timber seized in busts

Nearly 500 pieces of illegal first-grade timber were seized in a series of busts conducted by police across three different provinces this week.

The Stung Treng Provincial Court on Wednesday charged three men – Hong Kimsreng, 54, Nguon Pheak Na, 32, and Chhum Sok Kong, 28 – after they were arrested driving a van carrying 134 pieces of first-grade wood without a licence in Stung Treng commune on Monday.

“We have charged them with collecting and transporting [illegal luxury timber], according to . . . articles 96 and 98 of the Forestry Law,” court spokesperson Sun Yoeurth said.

In the same province, a separate van containing 25 pieces of luxury wood was yesterday seized in Preah Bat commune by provincial police.

Meanwhile, in Kampong Chhnang province, a car loaded with 181 pieces of endangered rosewood – weighing a total of 531 kilograms – was confiscated by the provincial Forestry Administration and economic police in Rolea Ba’ier district’s Banteay Preal commune on Wednesday.

“I don’t know how many people were in the car, but when my forces intercepted, [all] the people in the car escaped,” said Yin Sophat, director of the provincial economic crimes office, adding that he believed the car had been headed for the capital from Pursat province.

In yet another case, 135 pieces of first-grade wood were confiscated in Kratie’s Svay Chreah commune during a joint bust on Wednesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.