Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Royal decree forms Consultation Forum

Royal decree forms Consultation Forum

Royal decree forms Consultation Forum

King Norodom Sihamoni has signed a royal decree establishing the Consultation Forum as well as verifying the retirement of 105 government officials from 25 different ministries, a document dated August 27 and seen by The Post on Sunday said.

The Act makes the group’s status official and appoints 30 members. The group has been trumpeted under the banner of creating a culture of dialogue in the country after the July 29 national election was swept by the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP).

Khmer Rise Party (KRP) president Sok Sovan Vathana who is now a member of the Consultation Forum, said members would be able to give advice on and draft policies as well as monitor the implementation of laws at national and sub-national levels.

He said the degree of effectiveness of the group will largely depend on the willingness of the government.

“I cannot assess now because we have not started working yet, but we will try with the best of our ability to serve the people,” he said.

Cambodian Youth Party president Pich Sros said despite criticism of the group, people should wait and judge them on their actions.

“The expense is real, but the benefit is the ability to serve the people. For example, more than 7,000 families have land that was violated.

“If I or another member of the council has no rights, the people will need to go directly to the relevant ministry or the courts for help. If they have me, I can go directly to them.

People need to consider between using the national budget and the benefit to them,” Sros said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for

  • Cross-border deal inked to maintain trade amid Covid-19

    Cambodia and Vietnam have agreed to allow cargo trailers to enter the common Bavet-Moc Bai border, located in Cambodia’ Svay Rieng province (Bavet) and Vietnam’s Tay Ninh province (Moc Bai) after movement restrictions were enforced to prevent a Covid-19 outbreak. The decision was made