Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Royal gazette to move online



Royal gazette to move online

A stack of old editions of the Royal Book, which will soon only be available to the public online.
A stack of old editions of the Royal Book, which will soon only be available to the public online. Pha Lina

Royal gazette to move online

The government will this year stop printing the royal gazette for sale to the public and begin publishing new editions online, an official said yesterday.

Spokesman for the Council of Ministers Phay Siphan said the costs of printing the gazette, which promulgates decisions of the government such as royal and subdecrees, had prompted the decision to go digital with editions starting from 2017.

Siphan said a new, dedicated website would be launched soon, though said he was unaware of exactly when it would come online. “We expect it to be ready next month,” he said.

He said the service would be free and the gazette searchable. He said some printed copies would be retained by the government for internal use.

Kenthy Virak Yuth, deputy director of the Department of Royal Decree and Computer Services at the Council of Ministers, said the body had difficulties reclaiming the costs of producing the book from ministries.

She said the Ministry of Economy and Finance had informed the department of the change earlier this month.

The gazette is one of only a few accessible channels of information on government decisions – ranging from the issuance of land titles and economic land concessions, to the promotion of soldiers in the military – from a regime long criticised for a lack of transparency.

The Post last week revealed the promotion of soldiers from the Prime Minister’s Bodyguard Unit who were convicted of attacking two opposition lawmakers based upon documents from the gazette.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman