Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sand dredging in Kampong Cham to resume after forum held




Sand dredging in Kampong Cham to resume after forum held

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Sand-dredging equipment pumps sand out of the Mekong River in Phnom Penh in 2015. Pha Lina

Sand dredging in Kampong Cham to resume after forum held

Public forum was held on Thursday at the request of Minister of Education, Youth and Sport Hang Chuon Naron to address the ongoing sand dredging operation along the Mekong river.Earlier on August 22, Naron called on Prime Minister Hun Sen to provide a solution to the sand pumping activity taking place in Kang Mead district, Kampong Cham province.

He stressed that the dredging went on despite there being an agreement between the authorities and the company which carried out the activity to stop pumping.

He said it had made people who live along the river banks uneasy about their houses being affected by possible erosion due to the nonstop sand dredging operation in the area.

At the forum, the Ministry of Mines and Energy’s secretary of state, Dith Tina, explained to participants that the sand pumping activity is intended to unclog the water current and divert it so as to not hit the river banks.

He noted that this was the reason why a company had been permitted to undertake the operation.

Kampong Cham provincial administration deputy director Peirm Sothearly told The Post that the participants have been informed and therefore came up with a consensus to allow the company to resume its sand dredging operation.

“The people accepted [the operation] and thus permitted the company, which has been granted a licence, to continue pumping, with a condition – it must adhere to Cambodian regulations on sand mining,” he said.

Noting Tina’s presentation on the benefits of sand dredging and the risks of it not being done, Sothearly said: “[The secretary of state] explained that the operation would not cause further bank erosion.

“It would instead reduce it. The ongoing erosion has been happening for a long time, even before the company started the operation.”

None of the forum attendees revealed the identity of the company.

Affiliated Network for Social Accountability director San Chey said the presentation shared by the ministry’s representatives do not reflect what is really happening on the ground.

“The technical explanation is just an exaggeration, while the truth is that the company responsible for the activity, despite having a licence, does not follow proper procedures,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • CDRI poll: Most happy but disappointments still exist

    A survey has found that over 70 per cent of Cambodian youths and adults approve of the direction the country is headed in, with the majority of respondents saying they had been doing better financially over the past five years. However, more than half said they

  • Drugs raid on Miami Night Club, 50 held

    Anti-drugs police raided a club in Chamkarmon district’s Boeung Keng Kang I commune in Phnom Penh early on Thursday, arresting some 50 people and confiscating drug-producing equipment and suspected illegal substances. Deputy National Police chief Mok Chito said on Thursday that police conducted the raid

  • Phnom Penh: The street food you adore, but given a refined twist

    There is no shortage of street food vendors scattered across Phnom Penh, but what is far rarer is finding a place that also has comfortable seating, good hygiene and parking. This is where Jing Ling and her five friends step in. With the concept of

  • Battambang court releases minor who shot boy

    The Battambang provincial court on Thursday released a 14-year-old boy who had been detained for accidentally firing a home-made gun and killing a nine-year-old boy in Samlot district on Tuesday, provincial court spokesman Tieng Sambor said. Sambor told The Post on Thursday that following the