Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sand-dredging spat resolved

Sand-dredging spat resolved

Sand-dredging spat resolved

A DISPUTE over a sand-dredging operation on the Mekong River in Kandal province’s Khsach Kandal district was resolved Sunday after the company operating the dredging boats agreed to work within areas designated by experts from the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology, officials said.

Khsach Kandal Deputy Governor Khieu Soknath said that officials from the Sam Chetra Sand Dredging Co made the promise during a meeting with ministry officials and local community representatives.

But he said the company denied villagers’ claims that the dredgers were operating outside of the permitted areas, threatening the collapse of riverbanks and the loss of village farmland.

“The company has denied allegations that it has operated anarchically outside its permit area over the past month,” he said.

On Sunday, specialists from the Ministry of Water Resources placed plastic beacons on the river to mark the permitted dredging area, and the company promised to operate within its limits and cease nighttime dredging in line with villagers’ requests, Khieu Soknath said.

In a report last month, London-based watchdog Global Witness argued that despite a sand-export ban ordered by Prime Minister Hun Sen in May last year, dredging operations continue to pose environmental threats in the country’s rivers and marine areas.

But Khsach Kandal district Governor Kong Sophon said that the number of dredging companies operating on the Mekong has dropped drastically since Hun Sen’s ban.

Chan Yutha, chief of cabinet at the Ministry of Water Resources, said that about 20 companies have received licences to dredge sand in the Mekong River, and that most adhered to government regulations.

“We have established an intervention team in order to crack down on illegal sand dredging,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a