Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sar Kheng concerned over laundering

Sar Kheng concerned over laundering

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Minister of Interior Sar Kheng was presiding over the swearing-in ceremony for the capital’s newly elected councillors at Phnom Penh Municipal Hall on Wednesday. Facebook

Sar Kheng concerned over laundering

Minister of Interior Sar Kheng has expressed concerns that recent money laundering cases involving huge sums will see Cambodia placed on a global financial blacklist.

He called on the authorities to crack down hard on the crime or the Kingdom would be “dead” as it suffers resulting difficulties in transferring money internationally.

Sar Kheng, who is also deputy prime minister, was presiding over the swearing-in ceremony for the capital’s newly elected councillors at Phnom Penh Municipal Hall on Wednesday, during which he said Cambodia was already under monitoring after being placed on the organisation’s “grey list”.

“Just one more step and we could be put on the blacklist if we don’t forcefully crack down [on this crime]. Those who commit this crime benefit but it is only they who do. They take money to buy land and this makes land prices increase."

“The nation will be dead in the sense that one day Cambodia could be placed on the blacklist because of money laundering. This is the end. I cannot say 100 per cent, but we would face huge hardships. There is a huge risk of this happening,” Sar Kheng said.

In February, Cambodia was placed on the Financial Action Task Force’s (FATF) grey list after being removed in 2015.

The FATF is an intergovernmental organisation that tackles money laundering and the financing of terrorism.

In late April, authorities arrested three Chinese nationals at Phnom Penh International Airport and confiscated $3.52 million. In May, another Chinese national was arrested at the airport, with $855,000 seized.

All those held said the money was brought in from Hong Kong.

Sar Kheng said authorities had forwarded the cases between each other but had not investigated the source of the money.

“In such cases, [you] must report to me immediately. The money is now at the bank. But there must be investigations to see where it came from. The suspects said the money was won from gambling. But there is no evidence of this. So what should we do?"

“If the money was legitimate, they would not look for others to help them move it,” he said.

Sar Kheng said the suspects sought people to help move the money by promising them a 10-50 per cent share.

“Why so generous? They said if it could be brought in, they were willing to give away 50 per cent of the money. If it was legitimate money, they wouldn’t need to do this. So this indicates that it’s not legitimate."

“This [order] will make those who benefit [from money laundering] uneasy, but we must do so for the honour of our nation. It is not a simple task – it is complicated, like drug crimes,” he said.

Deputy chief of National Police Dy Vichea said around $14 million had been confiscated in the first haft of this year.

Vichea, who is also the Ministry of Interior’s central security department director, told The Post last week that money laundering offences had increased due to the complexity of the crime.

“The offence of laundering money is nothing new. But because the nation has developed and technologies have advanced, we are training our officials so they do not fall behind the advancements. Our officials are not unskilled, but rather, there has been a surge in such offences.

“We need to focus our attention and want them to show interest because offences are cracked down on every day but we don’t always know which offences involve money laundering,” Vichea said.

Preap Kol, the executive director of Transparency International Cambodia, said Sar Kheng’s concerns were valid.

He said while the recent successful crackdowns on money laundering at Phnom Penh’s airport should be attributed to the authorities, they also raised alarm as to the size of the problem.

“It is just the tip of the iceberg. Seaports and land borders must be watched more closely,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Website advises travellers to stay clear of Angkor Wat

    An Australian website has advised travellers to avoid Angkor Wat during their trip to Southeast Asia because the ancient temple is showing signs of rapid erosion and faced water management issues. In a recent article entitled Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid

  • First deportees of the year touch down in Cambodia

    Twenty-five Cambodian-Americans landed in Phnom Penh on Wednesday, marking the first such deportations of the year. “On Wednesday, US law enforcement authorities deported 25 Cambodian nationals that immigration judges determined had no legal basis to remain in the US,” said Arend Zwartjes, spokesperson for the US

  • Passenger taxi boat ridership sinks despite free services

    Passenger taxi boat traffic has dropped by about five per cent compared to the same period last year, despite the government providing free service for garment workers until next year, Phnom Penh Autonomous Bus Transportation Authority director Ean Sokhim said on Monday. In 2018, the Phnom

  • Kingdom drafting new law to strengthen immigration

    The Ministry of Interior on Tuesday said it had formed a working group to draft amendments to the Law on Immigration. Its secretary of state Sok Phal told The Post that the amendments will strengthen the management of immigrants in line with the current situation.

  • Shipments of mango to South Korea poised to begin this week

    Exports of Cambodian mangoes to South Korea will begin this week after Korean authorities gave the nod. The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries’ Department of Plant Protection, Sanitary and Phytosanitary Requirements director Ker Monthivuth told The Post on Sunday that after several inspections of

  • Qatar Airways to connect Doha and Siem Reap town

    Qatar Airways Company QCSC has announced a new route connecting Qatar’s capital Doha with Siem Reap, a move hailed by local officials as a significant step to boost tourist numbers. A Qatar Airways representative, speaking at the Kuwait Aviation Show, announced on Thursday that