Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sar Kheng: Do not neglect virus threat



Sar Kheng: Do not neglect virus threat

Sar Kheng: Do not neglect virus threat

Minister of Interior Sar Kheng reminded officials at all levels on Monday not to underestimate the Covid-19 threat even if confirmed cases have dropped and more than 60 per cent of patients have recovered.

Speaking at a handover ceremony of vehicles and protective materials to provincial police stations at the ministry, Sar Kheng said until now, the virus has not yet subsided around the world with an increase of up to 80,000 cases and the death rate rising.

He said Cambodia recorded 122 cases total. Of those, 77 people recovered and 45 are being treated in hospitals. But no one has died. He chalked that up to the attention paid by healthcare workers, the relevant officials and people alike.

The ministry has, for its part, delivered 95 vehicles in total. Of the 50 delivered on Monday, 17 were handed over to district police chiefs bordering Thailand, 28 to those bordering Vietnam and five to those near the Laos border.

“We have overcome the disease. Of all the patients, 63 per cent have recovered and 31 per cent are still in hospitals. But this does not mean we are neglecting or underestimating it. We have to pay attention to it and take all possible measures to prevent and combat this disease,” he said.

He also expressed his admiration for officials at all levels for taking strict measures to halt the spread of the virus.

Battambang provincial police chief Uch Sokhon told The Post on Monday that Cambodia has implemented measures to halt the spread of the virus and the majority of civil servants and citizens had implemented them.

He said although some migrant workers did not cooperate with the police at first they have come to understand and implement the measures almost 100 per cent.

“Our citizens have implemented the instructions of the Ministry of Health and the authorities will continue to strongly implement measures to halt this spread,” he said.

Dr Hen Pheareak, who has more than 20 years experience in respiratory tract infections, said on a Facebook post on Monday that Cambodians had neglected their vigilance of Covid-19 to celebrate Khmer New Year. He warned that a widespread outbreak of Covid-19 could have occurred.

“Cambodians neglect [the rules] during the Khmer New Year and the virus could infect people. Be careful that the virus doesn’t infect the community,” he said.

Pheareak previously told The Post that Cambodia could halt the spread of the disease with the border restrictions for Khmer New Year and that this could protect the Kingdom, ending the risk of infections.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the