Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sar Kheng issues police professionalism guidance



Sar Kheng issues police professionalism guidance

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Interior Minister Sar Kheng delivered a speech at the event in Phnom Penh last year. Heng Chivoan

Sar Kheng issues police professionalism guidance

Deputy Prime Minister Sar Kheng on Friday issued a 10-point guidance plan to all police officials on the “management and use of the National Police's administrative frameworks” to maintain their dignity, morality and professionalism in executing their roles.

Sar Kheng instructed the General Commissariat of the National Police and Phnom Penh municipal and provincial police commissioners to manage and use weapons properly as dictated by the commissariat and the Law on the Control of Weapons, Ammunition and Explosives.

“Great heed is to be paid to the management of weapons in their units. Reports are to be made on a regular basis to the General Commissariat of the National Police and the Ministry of Interior,” he said.

He also reiterated his instruction to all units to ensure the proper use of police forces by not using them to serve at private companies, factories or other establishments – especially entertainment venues and casinos – without permission from senior leadership.

Sar Kheng also banned the use of police units, especially convoys of motorbikes or cars with sirens, to escort private individuals without permission from the General Commissariat of the National Police and the Ministry of Interior.

“Heads of units have the obligation to implement the content of this guidance. [The heads] are to take full responsibility for the Ministry of Interior's directive and established laws,” he said.

Ministry of Interior spokesperson Khieu Sopheak told The Post on Sunday that the ministry had observed problems and had been receptive to the public's ideas over the issue.

“Sometimes, ordinary businessmen arrive on an aeroplane and are met with a convoy of motorbikes with sirens – but they are not allowed to. So we see such problems, and this clear guidance has been issued so motorbikes and cars with sirens are used properly in line with the law. Such escorts are only allowed for high ranking officials,” Sopheak said.

He said the ministry had also observed and received information from the public about irregularities regarding the management of firearms, so the measures had been tightened.

“I thank social media [users] for quickly providing the authorities with information. We see some individuals who are not permitted to use guns flaunting weapons at drinking tables. There are many such pictures,” he said.

Sopheak appealed to the public, saying that if anyone has information about officials using firearms improperly, to please take photographs and post them on the Facebook pages of the Ministry of Interior, Sar Kheng or any relevant authorities, and action would be taken immediately.

Kin Phea, the director of the International Relations Institute at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, said the Ministry of Interior had issued a number of letters in the past over the use of firearms.

“We have had a lot of guidance, but it's not very effective. We see that weapons are still being used illegally and there are other improprieties such as private individuals using cars with police number plates."

"Policemen continue to be seen guarding entertainment venues and the private houses of this or that person. The law has not yet been enforced effectively,” Phea said.

He said that in order to build the public's confidence, he wanted to see legal procedures enforced more strictly whenever any authorities carry out tasks contrary to the law.

MOST VIEWED

  • Seven positive for Covid-19, Hun Sen confirms local transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen announced that there has been local community transmission of Covid-19. However, he urged the people not to panic even though the Ministry of Health announced the discovery of seven new cases on Sunday. Among the victims are Chhem Savuth, the director-general

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there

  • PM confirms community transmission, calls for unity

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has called on the public to stay calm, unite and follow the Ministry of Health guidelines after the wife of a senior official tested positive for Covid-19 in the Kingdom’s first case of community transmission. The case has drawn criticism