Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sar Kheng reveals new village plans for five provinces

Sar Kheng reveals new village plans for five provinces

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Minister of Interior Sar Kheng has revealed a plan to create new villages in five provinces which have available land and sparse populations. INTERIOR MINISTRY

Sar Kheng reveals new village plans for five provinces

Minister of Interior Sar Kheng has revealed a plan to create new villages in five provinces which have available land and sparse populations.

Addressing an inauguration ceremony for the new Preah Vihear provincial governor via video link on August 15, Sar Kheng said the new villages would be in Preah Vihear and neighbouring Stung Treng, Kratie, Ratanakkiri and Mondulkiri provinces, as they have vacant land and low populations.

“People will be able to settle down there legally without having to rob one another of property or occupy state land. Therefore, we should create villages for them. It may be that people from very remote areas would prefer to live in one of the new villages, which will have better access to public services,” he added.

In Stung Treng province, deputy director of administration Men Kung told The Post on August 15 that the conditions for establishing new villages in the province focused on demographic and geographical factors.

He said the province had not added any villages recently, but the administration had already submitted proposals to the interior ministry.

“We have proposed several locations, and are just waiting on the ministry’s decision on which commune should be used,” he said.

Pen Linath, deputy governor of Kratie province, told The Post on August 15 that the provincial administration had requested permission to establish more than 30 new villages after studying the characteristics of each area and evaluating whether local infrastructure would be suitable.

“We have seen a lot of people moving into the province, and we have determined that the locations are entirely appropriate for establishing new villages,” he said.

According to Linath, much of the populace lives far from towns so it is difficult to make sure they can access public services. The creation of new villages would make this much simpler, he said. In addition, the province established a new commune before the June 5 commune council elections, after verifying that the population had grown enough.

San Chey, executive director of the NGO Affiliated Network for Social Accountability, told The Post on August 15 that he had no objections to the plan, but hoped the new villages would be well developed as soon as they were established.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a