Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sar Kheng set to lead NagaWorld mediation meeting

Sar Kheng set to lead NagaWorld mediation meeting

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Authorities remove NagaWorld protesters from the scene of their rally in Phnom Penh’s Chamkarmon district last month. CCHR

Sar Kheng set to lead NagaWorld mediation meeting

Minister of Interior Sar Kheng is slated to lead a meeting with ministers and authorities to seek a solution for the ongoing labour dispute between the NagaWorld integrated resort and former staff who have since mid-December been protesting the termination of hundreds of their coworkers.

In an invitation letter issued by Phnom Penh municipal deputy governor Keut Chhe dated March 4 and seen by The Post on March 8, the meeting is expected to be attended by Minister of Justice Koeut Rith, Minister of Labour and Vocational Training Ith Samheng, Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng, municipal police chief Sar Thet and municipal gendamerie chief Rath Sreang.

Other attendees include senior officials from the interior ministry, municipal governor Khuong Sreng, municipal court director Taing Sun Lay and prosecutor Chroeng Khmao.

The scheduled meeting comes amid renewed warnings from the municipal administration to protesters regarding actions that risk spreading the coronavirus. The municipal administration has said it would be taking legal action – including issuing fines of between one to five million riel ($250 to $1,250) – against the protesters, some of whom are alleged to have refused Covid-19 testing.

The threats of legal action were made in a statement issued on March 7 after more than a hundred protestors – who have been demanding the proper addressing of their termination as well as that of their former coworkers – had tested positive for the coronavirus.

The statement singled out “a handful of NagaWorld protesters and some outsiders who had incited them to come together again” as the likely targets of the legal action.

It added that the “small group” had “justified their actions” and encouraged former NagaWorld employees to take to the streets again on International Women’s Day to “display negative pictures of authorities’ actions for their hidden agenda”.

The administration said authorities had “invited” a total of 180 protesters to the Phnom Penh Quarantine Centre on March 7 for testing, but once they arrived, the protesters were said to have been “uncooperative” in taking PCR tests.

They are alleged to have refused the tests and declined to show proof of identity to medical staff who were filling in forms.

“As long as the protesters are not cooperative, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration will take legal action by imposing fines ranging from one million to five million riels.

“If they are not deterred, the fine will be imposed at double the amount, as stated in article 21 and 27 of the law on the control of Covid-19 and other contagious diseases,” the notice said.

It added that any individual found to be “obstructing the implementation of health measures” will be referred to court.

More than 1,000 NagaWorld workers have been protesting since mid-December, demanding that the company reinstate 365 former employees who they say were unfairly laid off during the Covid-19 pandemic.

A total of 11 protesters have been arrested and placed in pre-trial detention with the charge of incitement to commit a felony. Nearly a hundred protesters have tested positive for Covid-19, prompting authorities to take the action of prohibiting public assembly to prevent the disease from further spreading within the community.

Moeun Tola, executive director of the Centre for Alliance of Labor and Human Rights (Central) urged the authorities to solve the dispute in a peaceful manner, citing the common interests of the two parties as the government begins the process of economic recovery.

“If we cannot find a black-and-white solution, we should apply humanitarian principles. NagaWorld employees have already lost their jobs and incomes and are depressed. If the authorities impose fines on them, where can they get the money to pay them off?” he said.

Tola added that he supported the suggestions of Sar Kheng, who in late January urged both the labour ministry and NagaWorld management to address the former casino employees’ grievances as soon as possible.

He said relevant authorities should resolve the dispute with the assistance of the municipal administration to find a compromise that could end the conflict.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,

  • Cambodia's poverty cut in half from 2009 to 2019: World Bank report

    A report published by the World Bank on November 28 states that Cambodia’s national poverty rate fell by almost half between 2009 and 2019, but the Covid-19 pandemic recently reversed some of the poverty reduction progress. Cambodia’s poverty rate dropped from 33.8 to 17.8 per cent over the 10