MORE than 89 schools near the disputed Thai-Cambodian border in Banteay Meanchey province are planning to gradually reopen after closing their doors during the clashes between troops of the two countries last Wednesday.
Phleng Saroth, chief of Banteay Meanchey's Education Department, told the Post Sunday that schools in Malai, O Chrov, Thma Puok and Svay Chek districts closed their doors because most villagers fled the area to escape last week's unrest.
"I have gone back to look at the situation and saw that 30 to 40 percent of people have come back home," he said, adding that he will hold a meeting with teachers today requesting that they appeal to students' parents to send their children back to school.
Nhek Tuy, headmaster of Poipet High School, confirmed his school will reopen Monday regardless of the number of students in attendance.
Or Borin, deputy chief of Military Police in Banteay Meanchey province, said that many villagers have chosen to return home because they believe there will be no more outbursts of violence.
Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport official Koeu Nay Leang said the ministry was currently waiting for a report from the Department of Education before it encourages students to return to schools in the area.