Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Search on in Pursat for land-clearing boss



Search on in Pursat for land-clearing boss

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Officials in Pursat province checked the forest land in question after it was reported that someone had cleared it.

Search on in Pursat for land-clearing boss

Officials in Pursat province say they continue to search for perpetrators who cleared forest land at the western part of Stung Atai’s hydropower area located at Veal Veng district.

Pursat provincial deputy governor Khoy Rida told The Post on Monday that on Saturday afternoon, under a direct order from Pursat provincial governor Mao Thornin, a group checked the forest land in question after it was reported that someone had cleared it.

Officials said they want to catch and punish those responsible and then plant trees to restore the area.

“It took time to get across the water there and the perpetrator escaped,” Rida said, adding that “we still cannot measure the whole of the damage yet”.

Kampong Chhnang and Pursat provincial Adhoc coordinator Sam Chankea said the operation to protect the forest land in this area is not too late yet.

He said the provincial authority should put in the effort to find the suspects behind the clearance of forest land and that so far, some areas were cleared but most of the perpetrators were not arrested. Meanwhile, he said, innocent people had been arrested.

“In O’som and Veal Veng, two or three citizens who were not involved in clearing land in the restricted area were detained. The ringleader behind the operation, however, has not been caught,” he said.

Chankea said the clearing of forest land was started by a small group of people supported by the ringleader who gets them to clear the forest from one area to another.

He said poor people are persuaded to clear the forest land and then grow crops. When authorities intervene they claim that they have been permanently living on the land for a long time.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said