Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Second Case 004 suspect charged

Second Case 004 suspect charged

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ao An, aka Ta An, is photographed during a 2011 interview. He was charged on Friday with crimes against humanity by the ECCC. PHOTO COURTESY DC-CAM

Second Case 004 suspect charged

Despite strong government opposition, the UN-backed Khmer Rouge trial yesterday charged another ex-Khmer Rouge official in Case 004, with former deputy Central Zone secretary Ao An, better known as Ta An, appearing in person at the court to face allegations of crimes against humanity and premeditated murder.

The charges, issued by International Co-Investigating Judge Mark Harmon without support from his national counterpart You Bunleng, come less than a month after Harmon charged former Democratic Kampuchea officials Im Chaem and Meas Muth in cases 004 and 003, respectively.

However unlike Muth and Chaem, who were charged in absentia after police apparently refused to arrest the pair, Ta An appeared at the tribunal to hear the charges related to purges and executions during the Democratic Kampuchea regime.

“He was summonsed, appeared before the judge and he was informed about the charges against him,” said Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia spokesman Lars Olsen.

“Now [his legal team] have the ability to ask for investigative actions on their behalf or they can challenge evidence.”

The charges – including premeditated homicide as a violation of the 1956 Cambodian Penal Code and crimes against humanity – cover crimes committed at Kok Pring execution site, Toul Beng security centre and Wat Au Trakuon security centre during the Democratic Kampuchea regime.

According to the ECCC statement, the crimes against humanity charge covers murder, extermination, persecution on political and religious grounds, imprisonment, and other inhumane acts.

Speaking to the Post in 2011, Ta An denied he was responsible for the killings and said he was not afraid to face the tribunal.

Initiated in 2009, cases 003 and 004 – which focus on mid-level cadres – have long been opposed by the government, with Prime Minister Hun Sen warning the country could slip into “civil war” if further charges were laid, an assertion disputed by observers.

According to a court spokesperson, Bunleng – who had not participated in the investigation – said yesterday that Harmon’s evidence “showed more doubt” as to whether the suspects named in the case fell within the court’s jurisdiction.

However, he added, he would “continue the discussion” and “work closely” with Harmon based on standard legal and procedural and “high professionalism”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong