Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Second Khmer paper called before judge

Second Khmer paper called before judge

Second Khmer paper called before judge

A SECOND Khmer newspaper is about to be sued for articles claimed to have

damaged the "honor, dignity and reputation" of the two Prime

Ministers.

The Ministry of Information filed charges on Feb 7 against New

Liberty News for an article it ran on Feb 6 accusing Prince Norodom Ranariddh

and Hun Sen of being "the heads of the thieves."

On Jan 17, the Ministry

of Information canceled its decision to shut down the Voice of Khmer Youth,

which had earlier run an accusatory article against Ranariddh, but decided to

sue the paper instead.

The court was expected to hear the two cases

soon, the statement said, adding that under article 32 of the SOC's media law

the maximum fine was three million riel.

In its Feb 6 issue, the New

Liberty News published an article under the byline Toyota calling Cambodia "A

country of thieves" with both prime ministers acting as the heads of the

thieves.

It named Second Premier Hun Sen as a "spearhead of thieves from

the top to the local level, who know how to steal very

professionally."

Instead of cracking down on thieves after the election,

the article continued, First Premier Norodom Ranariddh also "asked to become a

head of thieves as well."

"Long live, cooperation between the two

Samdechs [Norodom Ranariddh and Hun Sen] in becoming the number one heads of

thieves in the world," the article reads.

The statement said it was the

second time the New Liberty News has published an article deemed to be outside

the law.

It added the Ministry of Information had the right to suspend

the newspaper under article 37 of SOC's media law, but it chose not to do so,

rather to proceed with civil charges.

"The article provided no

foundation, no fact and lacked professionalism," said Information Minister Ieng

Mouly.

"This kind of accusation is unacceptable even for the writer

himself," he added.

The government has indicated it is now intending to

sue errant newspapers, rather than forcibly closing them. A draft press law is

expected to go before the National Assembly soon.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman