Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Second maid may be stuck in Saudi Arabia



Second maid may be stuck in Saudi Arabia

Domestic worker Sos Rotors, who spent 12 years in Saudi Arabia after allegedly being trafficked there, has said she will not file a complaint against the owner of the agency that sent her.
Domestic worker Sos Rotors, who spent 12 years in Saudi Arabia after allegedly being trafficked there, has said she will not file a complaint against the owner of the agency that sent her. Fresh news

Second maid may be stuck in Saudi Arabia

A Cambodian maid who was rescued from Saudi Arabia last month after spending 12 years working without pay said she does not blame the government official who recruited her, even amid claims that a second Cambodian maid has been found in the same situation.

Sos Rotors, a 28-year-old from Kampong Thom who was sent to Saudi Arabia in 2005 as a teenager, said she felt “sorry” for prominent Muslim community leader Ahmad Yahya, who was fired from his job at the Social Affairs Ministry last week.

“It is not his mistake; I was the one who asked him [for a job],” Rotors said. “If I were the government, I would not remove him from his position. He is a good-hearted man.”

Government officials said Yahya’s now-defunct recruiting agency acted illegally in sending Rotors to Saudi Arabia without a signed memorandum of understanding.

Yesterday, Ministry of Labour Secretary of State Othsman Hassan – who has butted heads with Yahya in the past – posted a picture of an alleged second Cambodian maid trafficked to Saudi Arabia and said he was working to repatriate her.

Yahya confirmed in a message yesterday that the second maid, named Eng Pov, had travelled to Saudi Arabia with assistance from his company in August 2005, but declined to comment further.

In an interview yesterday, Rotors recalled travelling to Saudi Arabia with roughly 19 other Cambodian women. She has not been in touch with any of them since, she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year