Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Second son of tycoon charged for beatdown

Second son of tycoon charged for beatdown

Second son of tycoon charged for beatdown

5 DuongKimlong

The elder son of tycoon Duong Ngiep has joined his younger brother and his brother’s bodyguard in pre-trial detention after being charged by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Friday for his alleged involvement in a violent assault at a Chamkarmon district restaurant, police said yesterday.

Choun Narin, deputy chief of the Phnom Penh Municipal Police, said Duong Otdom Chhorvin, also known as Duong Chhay, 20, son of immigration police official Oknha Duong Ngiep, was handed down a trio of charges by the court, and detained at municipal police headquarters.

“Duong Chhay was also charged by court with three charges: causing injury, destroying property and illegal weapons possession. He was sent by the Phnom Penh court’s investigating judge to be detained along with his younger brother, Duong Kimlong, and his bodyguard in [the municipal police’s provisional jail] in Phnom Penh,” Narin said.

The three are accused of engaging in a brawl with six other patrons of a Phnom Penh restaurant during Khmer New Year. According to police, Kimlong produced a gun during the fight, struck another man with it, then threatened to shoot his cohorts. Kimlong, Chhay and bodyguard Ly Rayuth then reportedly escaped, smashing up the restaurant on their way out.

Kimlong and Rayuth were arrested later at a condominium with three illegal weapons. Chhay was brought to the court by his father last Thursday and turned himself in.

According to Narin, the court has also issued arrest warrants for two other suspects in the melee – identified only by their nicknames, Sna and Mab – who are still at large.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not