Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - On second thought …

On second thought …

On second thought …

As a group of Cambodian officials reportedly departed for Australia and asylum seeker detention centres on the Pacific island of Nauru last night, the Interior Ministry said that refugees would be given a brutally “realistic” summation of contemporary Cambodia before they choose to come here.

Under an agreement signed last month, asylum seekers on Nauru found to be genuine refugees – who have been told they will never be allowed to settle on the Australian mainland – will be given the choice to relocate to Cambodia instead, with resettlement costs to be met by Australian taxpayers.

But Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak made it clear yesterday that the government would not be pulling its punches with the refugees about life in Cambodia, leading observers to question whether its professed desire to engage in “humanitarian” resettlement was genuine.

“This is not a trip to advertise [and] to attract tourists to Cambodia, this trip is to tell them about Cambodia,” he told the Post yesterday. “About life, about culture, about the history of Cambodia and where we came from. For example, the three years, eight months and 20 days [of the Khmer Rouge regime], how we suffered. The reality of Cambodia, not the advertising.

“Cambodia is like a developing country, not a developed country like where [they] want to stay. They want to go to Australia.”

While a reliable source with close links to the refugee office said a group of at least five officials were to leave for Australia last night and later Nauru, Sopheak denied this.

Sok Phal, head of the ministry’s immigration department, also claimed that travel plans were yet to be finalised.

Suong Sok, a senior official at the refugee office, said the government was waiting on Australia “before we can send our officers there”. “I truly have no information about this right now,” he said.

An official that declined to be named admitted, however, that plans were highly “secretive”.

Spokespeople for Australia’s immigration minister and the embassy did not respond to a request for comment.

A meeting scheduled for today between acting opposition leader Kem Sokha and the Australian embassy about the deal has been postponed by the embassy because the relevant officials are away, Sokha’s cabinet chief Muth Youttha said.

Denise Coghlan of the Jesuit Refugee Service was pleased the government would be honest with refugees on Nauru.

“I certainly think this is a good approach to tell the story as it really is. And if the refugees decide, 'Well, OK, we’d rather take our chances in Cambodia than stay on Nauru', then it’s up to them,” she said.

Coghlan added that those who are “really motivated to give it a go” would have the best chances of succeeding in the Kingdom. “The agreement does say that they can be reunited with their families and also that there is a possibility of getting out to another place,” she said.

A protest on Friday against the deal saw hundreds march through Phnom Penh. Some demonstrators expressed fears that refugees could take scarce jobs and even pose a security risk.

Cambodian Center for Human Rights chairman Ou Virak said that the government appears to be “starting to understand how unpopular the deal is” and would be more receptive to xenophobic concerns than those related to human rights.

“I think the Cambodian government is now trying to play down the deal as much as it can and also making sure it will get that money. I think they are probably hoping that not many refugees are going to come anyway,” he said.

Australia is giving Cambodia $35 million in extra aid over the next four years as a sweetener to the arrangement. Although the agreement stipulates that how many refugees eventually come will be up to Cambodia – which has indicated it will take far fewer than the 1,000 initially expected – if very few decide to come, the money won’t be forthcoming, said Virak.

“They could get the initial $10 million or so. They aren’t going to get the next instalment if refugees aren’t coming. I think Cambodia is actually trying to back down on this deal without appearing to cave into pressure.”

Separately, the International Organization for Migration will this week assess the scheme.

“Our director-general will [then] decide whether or not we’ll be [involved] in resettlement and on what level,” IOM spokesman Joe Lowry said.

MOST VIEWED

  • NagaWorld casinos set to reopen, schools to follow

    NAGACORP Ltd has requested that it be allowed to reopen its NagaWorld integrated resorts in Phnom Penh after the government recently approved casinos to operate again, provided they follow Covid-19 prevention measures set by the Ministry of Health. Mey Vann, the director-general of the Ministry

  • Rubber exports stretch 17%

    Cambodia exported 97,175 tonnes of natural rubber in the first five months of this year, surging 17 per cent compared to the same period last year as the Covid-19 pandemic stretches on, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries official Khuong Phalla told The Post on Thursday. Phalla,

  • ASEM supports Kingdom’s proposal to postpone meeting amid Covid

    The 13th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM13) scheduled to be held in Cambodia in November has been postponed until mid-2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation press statement released on Saturday said. The decision was made during a two-day meeting

  • Coffee maker roasted for producing fake product

    The Ministry of Interior’s Counter Counterfeit Committee will send a suspect to court on Monday after she allegedly roasted coffee mixed with soybeans and other ingredients, creating a product which could pose a high risk to consumers’ health. On the afternoon of July 2, the

  • Cash handout programme 80% complete

    Minister of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation Vong Soth confirmed on Thursday that the implementation of the Cash Transfer Programme For Poor and Vulnerable Households During Covid-19 had been implemented for more than 80% of the over 560,000 families. The programme was introduced one week ago.

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Where is Cambodia’s exit strategy that can save the economy?

    With the prospect of being slammed by a double whammy, the government is working on an economic recovery plan to deliver it from Covid-19 and the EU’s partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms scheme in the next two to three years Cambodia is

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to

  • Thai border crossings eased

    The Cambodian Embassy in Thailand said in an announcement on Wednesday that Thailand’s government has allowed certain passengers from several countries to enter its borders. The visitors must go back to their country immediately after their duties in Thailand are fulfilled, the embassy said.

  • Gov’t says tourism recovers slightly despite pandemic

    The Ministry of Tourism and the Phnom Penh municipal administration have recognised 33 tourism businesses in the capital which have consistently implemented safety measures for tourists and adhered to the code of conduct issued by the ministry. Recently, the ministry announced that tourism businesses had to