Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Second tripartite wage meet sees no progress



Second tripartite wage meet sees no progress

Garment industry officials attend a meeting at the Ministry of Labour in Phnom Penh yesterday to negotiate the minimum wage.
Garment industry officials attend a meeting at the Ministry of Labour in Phnom Penh yesterday to negotiate the minimum wage. Lay Samean

Second tripartite wage meet sees no progress

The Labour Ministry will hold another tripartite meeting for wage negotiations on Wednesday after yesterday’s meeting produced no results, as both employers and unions held firm on their demands.

Though the second meeting between the government, employer representatives and trade unions ended in a stalemate, officials were still upbeat about bridging the more than $30 gap between the unions’ and employers’ wage demands.

“We will meet and have more discussions to find a solution on September 28,” said ministry spokesman Heng Sour. “I will also meet with the two sides to try and make the gap smaller.”

Sour added that the three parties would then vote on a wage figure that would be sent to the Labour Advisory Council (LAC) for a final decision.

Going into the discussions earlier this month, employer representatives had proposed a $144.20 wage for 2017, later increasing it to $146.37 during a bilateral meeting with unions. To reciprocate, unions agreed to drop their $179.60 demand by some $2 to $177.59.

Yang Sophorn, of the Cambodian Alliance of Trade Unions, said she hoped that all three groups could forward individual requests to the LAC rather than just one figure. She said unions were reluctant to drop their proposal below $177.

Kaing Monika, of employers’ group the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia, said it was hard to find a consensus, adding that it was “impossible” to agree to anything higher than $146 a month.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year