Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Seized materials from forest crimes to be auctioned off



Seized materials from forest crimes to be auctioned off

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
General Sao Sokha told municipal and provincial governors to maintain the quality and quantity of materials and equipment seized from forest crimes so that they can be put for bidding. Photo supplied

Seized materials from forest crimes to be auctioned off

General Sao Sokha, the commander of the National Military Police and chair of the National Committee for Prevention and Crackdown of Natural Resources Crime, told municipal and provincial governors to maintain the quality and quantity of materials and equipment seized from forest crimes so that they can be put for bidding.

The funds raised in this manner will be transferred to the national coffers.

The order issued on Wednesday said “relevant officials must disseminate this task to all relevant institutions and units, [after which] a report must be made by attaching photos [of the crime] and sending it to the national secretary working group.

“The municipal and provincial governors must implement this instruction in a highly effective manner from the date of the signature.”

National Military Police spokesman Eng Hy said Sokha’s letter of instruction had already been sent to the relevant officials.

“We went down for actual inspection. Some materials and equipment that were seized, such as timber or vehicles were kept in the open. They could have decayed or been damaged by rain.

“If kept in the open, there could also be an accidental fire in the dry season. So we instructed all technical officials to keep them properly. Once we finish all the reports, we will put them for bidding but I don’t know when this will happen,” he said.

Mondulkiri provincial governor Svay Sam Eang confirmed receipt of Sokha’s letter on Thursday, adding that a joint committee is already being created in order to collect the materials and equipment from each location.

“I will assign technical officials to keep them properly and to keep the vehicles under shade to avoid damage. Timber will be kept where fires could be avoided and we’ll even deploy our armed forces to look after them,” said Sam Eang.

Kratie provincial governor Var Thorn had likewise received the instruction letter and had tasked his officials to inspect the seized materials and equipment, including some timber, vehicles and chainsaws.

“There weren’t a lot of seized materials. I don’t remember the amount. The timber trucks have been given to the forestry administration. With regard to timber, I told my officials to keep them in a safe place and not under [the] rain. We keep them well,” assured Thorn.

NGO Adhoc official Pen Bunna said he supported the protection of materials and equipment seized from forest crimes. He urged the authorities to announce the bidding publicly and allow civil societies to monitor it.

“For seized materials and equipment that cannot be sold or will not be bought such as chainsaws, trucks and other materials, the authorities must manage it well and transparently because I fear they could be used to serve forest crimes again if the management is lax.

“The amount of money collected from the sale of seized materials and equipment must also be announced publicly to prevent corruption,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma