Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Seized wood auctioned off

Seized wood auctioned off

Seized wood auctioned off

THE Forestry Administration cantonment in Ratanakkiri province has begun auctioning wood seized earlier this year as part of the government’s crackdown on illegal logging, a court official said yesterday.

Provincial court director Lu Susambath said that more than 600 cubic meters of wood had already been sold by the state, with the proceeds going to government coffers.

“More than 600 cubic metres of wood has been confiscated, and it has all been recently sent back to the Forestry Administration cantonment for auctioning to get money for the state budget,” he said.

He said last month that a request from forestry officials to auction off the wood would not be granted until the court received an explanation as to why no arrests or prosecutions had resulted from any of the roughly 45 illegal logging raids carried out in the province.

However, he said yesterday that no one had faced criminal charges in Ratanakkiri as part of the well-publicised crackdown, announced by Prime Minister Hun Sen in January.

“Not one businessman or forestry official has been prosecuted,” he said. “Forestry officials may be involved in illegal logging with businessmen, but there has been no evidence to press charges against them.”

Elsewhere, some officials arrested and held in pretrial detention after raids have been released despite the fact that they were still under investigation. On June 24, four Koh Kong forestry officials were freed after being charged in April for involvement in an illegal logging ring.

Pen Bonnar, Ratanakkiri provincial coordinator for the rights group Adhoc, said the release of the Koh Kong officials could weaken early momentum Hun Sen was able to build around the illegal logging issue.

“Samdech [Hun Sen] used to warn his officials that no matter how big and powerful they are, they would be arrested and prosecuted if they get involved in illegal logging,” he said. “But with lower officials seeking interventions, that message loses its meaning.”

Koh Kong provincial court officials declined to comment yesterday.

In Ratanakkiri, Pen Bonnar said, illegal logging seems to have picked up again. “Now you can see wood being carried on many motorbikes throughout the province. What you hardly ever see, is a forestry official crack down on them.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Archaeologists find ancient remnant

    A team from the Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a gatekeeper statue’s foot fragment at the Tonle Snguot Temple, within a metre of the toe of a statue found in 2017. ANA spokesman Long Kosal told The Post on Wednesday that the fragment was

  • Hun Sen to the rescue

    Cambodia has won praise for allowing passengers of the MS Westerdam cruise ship to dock at Preah Sihanouk port, thanks to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s humanitarian act. In a message via Twitter on Wednesday, the director-general of the World Health Organisation Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu

  • EU partially withdraws EBA

    The EU Commission on Wednesday announced the partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme, citing a serious and systematic violation by Cambodia of principles in the four core human and labour rights. The suspension affects one-fifth or €1 billion ($1.08 billion) of Cambodia’s annual

  • Japan calls for policy changes

    Representatives of Japanese companies and investors on Wednesday submitted a list of policy recommendations to the government concerning 21 challenges to the Kingdom’s business climate. Japanese Ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami and leaders of the Japanese Business Association in Cambodia (JBAC), Japan International Cooperation Agency

  • Still no word about EBA but rice likely unaffected

    Officials on Monday said the government had not received an official statement regarding the EU’s potential withdrawal of Cambodia’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. The EU launched the EBA withdrawal procedure on February 12, citing “a deterioration of democracy [and] respect for human rights”

  • Hate worse than virus, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday criticised countries that have cancelled flights with China following the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), arguing that such moves amounted to discrimination against the Chinese. In a speech delivered during the groundbreaking ceremony for work on national roads 2