Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sentence slashed for convicted pedophile



Sentence slashed for convicted pedophile

Sentence slashed for convicted pedophile

The Appeal Court yesterday slashed 18 years off the sentence of a man convicted of child sex charges, drawing the condemnation of an NGO who helped bring about his conviction.

German national Karl Heinz Henning, 67, who was sentenced to 28 years in prison following his 2006 arrest – is now eligible for release in 2016.

Defence lawyer Peung Yok Hiep yesterday said her client will make an application to walk free even sooner.

“My client is sick and he wants the court to drop the charge against him,” she said.

“He has already served more than two-thirds of his jail term, so we can apply for a Royal Pardon from the King.”

Henning was arrested along with another German national and three Vietnamese nationals. Four naked Vietnamese girls aged 10 to 14 were found when police raided his home.

Yok Hiep said the sentence reduction came because her client was convicted under the previous penal code, but on appeal, was tried under the new code.

But NGO Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE), whose investigation led to an arrest, said the court had dropped two of three charges.

“With all the undoubted evidence and testimonies . . . it is absurd that he will be convicted only for Purchase of Child Prostitution,” APLE country director Seila Samleang said in a statement.

Previously, Henning had also been charged with procurement with regard to child prostitution and buying or exchanging a person with purpose.

“A verdict of 10 years for all the crimes that was proved he committed with such a high level of severity does not bring any justice to the victims,” Samleang said.

According to APLE’s statement, evidence showed that Henning on multiple occasions had “paid for traffickers to bring children to his apartment, where he would tie, whip and rape them from three to four hours and then send them back to the traffickers”.

He was also in possession of the largest collection of child pornography in Cambodia’s history, the statement said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese