Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Serial ‘land grabber’ put on new blacklist




Serial ‘land grabber’ put on new blacklist

Minister of Land Management Chea Sophara speaks during a meeting last month. Sophara last week announced the implementation of a ‘blacklist’ aimed at combatting land disputes in the Kingdom.
Minister of Land Management Chea Sophara speaks during a meeting last month. Sophara last week announced the implementation of a ‘blacklist’ aimed at combatting land disputes in the Kingdom. Pha Lina

Serial ‘land grabber’ put on new blacklist

Businesses and individuals with a history of improper land dealings are to be added to a “blacklist” barring them from registering or transferring land, according to a Facebook post published by Minister of Land Management Chea Sophara on Friday.

The post promised that action will be taken against all who violate land ownership laws “regardless of how powerful they are”. Names added to the list would be passed on to the prime minister for approval, it said.

So far, just one name has been added to the list, that of Kandal businessman Lok Hour, according to Land Management Ministry spokesman Seng Loth.

Hour, previously an adviser to late senate chief Chea Sim, is currently embroiled in five separate land disputes, according to Loth.

“His Excellency blacklisted him because he had a lot of land conflicts with other citizens. We collected data about his cases and found that he has five conflicts in different places,” Loth said.

The spokesman added that Sophara had established a special committee to resolve Hour’s land disputes, as well as working groups to gather evidence on the ground.

Hour’s blacklisting comes on the heels of a letter issued by Kandal governor Mao Pirun last Thursday calling on the governors of the province’s Sa’ang and Kien Svay districts to freeze land currently the subject of disputes between Hour and local residents.

Sophara declined to comment on the decision to create the blacklist, the first of its kind.

Local NGO Adhoc’s head of land rights Latt Ky welcomed the announcement.

“I think that it’s a great action to show their high commitment for taking legal action,” Ky said. “He’s committed to list down all of the land grabbers for the government to take action. To me, working for an NGO, it’s a good opportunity to know about all those guys.”

However, Ky questioned whether the list itself would have any meaningful effects unless it was made publicly accessible.

“That’s a very good tool; it should be [shared with] the public that these people are involved in land disputes in Cambodia. Just to share that information with the public . . . would be more effective than a blacklist.”

Additional reporting by Jack Davies

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,