The Hydro Power Lower Sesan II Company Ltd has agreed to build infrastructure for 70 ethnic Lao families in Srekor village who refused to relocate after the controversial Sesan II Dam project went online in Stung Treng province last September.
The company said construction will begin after the plans are given the okay of company officials and provincial authorities.
Houses completely flooded
“After our company visited the villagers and discussed with them what they wanted, we agreed to provide new schools and roads for them,” Um Reth, a representative of the Royal Group said on Wednesday.
He said the villagers also asked if they could have their old homes back, but the company denied that request as the structures were completely flooded.
Fut Kheoun, a representative of the Srekor villagers who refused to relocate, said on Wednesday that the company had a meeting with holdouts about their requests, and promised to build the infrastructure for them.
“The villagers don’t want to leave their old homes, which have been inundated since last year, because they feel warm and comfortable,” Khoeun said.
Men Kong, a spokesman of Stung Treng Provincial Hall, claimed that he was unaware of the agreement and that if the company really wanted to build schools or roads in the village, it must inform provincial authorities first and sign an agreement with the government.