Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Seven years for pedo with history of abuse

Seven years for pedo with history of abuse

Frenchman Jacques Philippe Albertini is escorted into the Phnom Penh Municipal Court
Frenchman Jacques Philippe Albertini is escorted into the Phnom Penh Municipal Court. VIREAK MAI

Seven years for pedo with history of abuse

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday sentenced French national Jacques Phil­ippe Albertini to seven years in prison for sexually abusing three 12-year-old boys in 2011 and 2012.

In addition to the prison time, Judge Heng Sok Na ordered Albertini, 71, to pay five million riel (about $1,250) to each of the three victims after finding him guilty on charges of soliciting child prostitution.

“He has the right to appeal it to the Court of Appeal within legal procedures if he does not accept this court’s decision,” Sok Na added.

According to Sok Na, Albertini had been implicated in numerous child abuse cases before his May 2012 arrest in Phnom Penh based on a complaint from a victim’s parent. The other cases, he said, took place in France in 1979; in Thailand in 1980, 1981 and 1999; and in Cambodia’s Preah Sihanouk province in 2004, and Phnom Penh in 2008.

Albertini declined to respond to questions from reporters yesterday, and his defence lawyer could not be reached for comment. During his trial earlier this month, Albertini maintained his innocence, saying it would have been impossible for him to commit the crimes.

“I have been impotent for over 20 years. I also have diabetes. I could not commit such sexual activities as accused,” he said at the time. “I would like to ask the court to drop charges against me and release me.”

However, one of his victims, now 13, testified that Albertini paid him $10 on two occasions to come to his home and engage in sexual intercourse.

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • China steel company relocates to Cambodia

    Chinese state-owned iron and steel company China Baowu Steel Group Corp Ltd has unveiled plans to relocate its blast furnaces from Xinjiang Autonomous Region in the northwest of China to Cambodia, which will be the first overseas Baowu production plant, a Reuters report on Wednesday

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on