Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Several luxury-wood busts conducted over weekend



Several luxury-wood busts conducted over weekend

People stand on piles of illegal lumber at a sawmill in Prey Veng province during a raid of the property late last week. National Police
People stand on piles of illegal lumber at a sawmill in Prey Veng province during a raid of the property late last week. National Police

Several luxury-wood busts conducted over weekend

Police have made a series of busts of illegal first-grade timber in recent days, including one involving a sawmill that had been licensed by the government two weeks ago to resume its wood-processing activities.

Some 500 cubic metres of timber were discovered at the Sre Pok Wildlife Sanctuary in Mondulkiri’s Koh Nhek district during a joint operation by Mondulkiri provincial authorities that lasted from Friday until yesterday, according to the provincial court’s chief prosecutor, Long Hokmeng.

“The authorities who went down found about 500 cubic metres. We have not received the clear report yet . . . maybe Monday or Tuesday,” he said, adding that the investigations came after a tip-off from an official who had spotted some timber at the location.

In a separate case, 89 pieces of illegal first-grade timber were seized on Thursday at PSKV Construction Company, a sawmill that had been licensed to process wood for Yellow Field, a Kampong Speu economic land concession (ELC) granted by the government for sugarcane production.

“I went there since early last week. We found more than 80 pieces of illegal wood totalling to over 26 cubic metres in the company complex without permission,” Kampong Speu provincial prosecutor Keo Sothea said.

A provincial environmental organisation officer, who asked to remain anonymous, said that Yellow Field had gained land concessions from the government and employed the help of PSKV, a sawmill located inside the ELC, to clear the forest and process wood for it.

“PSKV carried that wood from the Cardamom Mountains and brought them to Yellow Field, so it would belong to Yellow Field and avoid confiscation by patrolling authorities,” he said.

According to a document from the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries dated September 6 and obtained by the anonymous officer, the ministry recently renewed PSKV’s licence – which had expired in October 2013 – authorising its wood-processing activities.

“The ministry has decided to allow the PSKV to continue its operation as a sawmill to process wood resources for Yellow Field for nine more months,” it reads.

“They will use this licence to continue taking wood from the southern and middle Cardamom Mountains and placing it in [Yellow Field] to make it legal,” the anonymous officer said. “They use military trucks to transport that wood so no one dares to do anything against them.”

Contact information for PSKV and Yellow Field could not be obtained yesterday.

Meanwhile, in still more cases, the Forestry Administration seized 93 pieces of first-grade timber in Banteay Meanchey’s Malai district yesterday, and dozens of pieces of illegal wood spilled out of a truck after it crashed in Prey Veng province on Friday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants