Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sexual abuse among claims against HAGL

Sexual abuse among claims against HAGL

Numbered logs sit inside a rubber concession belonging to a subsidiary company of HAGL in Ratanakkiri province
Numbered logs sit inside a rubber concession belonging to a subsidiary company of HAGL in Ratanakkiri province. GLOBAL WITNESS

Sexual abuse among claims against HAGL

Sexual assault and the annihilation of sacred graveyards are among the many claims levelled at Vietnamese Rubber giant Hoang Anh Gia Lai (HAGL) by villagers in Ratanakkiri province, a report by the World Bank’s investment arm reveals.

In February, 17 indigenous communities that accused HAGL of land grabbing filed a complaint with the World Bank’s International Finance Corporation (IFC) – which invests in the rubber producer via an intermediary fund called Dragon Capital Group. The submission triggered an investigation by the IFC’s internal watchdog, the Compliance Advisor Ombudsman (CAO).

In an initial assessment dated May 12 and published on its website, the CAO documented villager claims against HAGL of depleted fish levels in waterways, encroachment and destruction of sacred land, deaths of hundreds of livestock, and, in one of the more shocking accusations, sexual abuse by company employees.

“The communities also shared with CAO that there were two instances of sexual assault by Company workers, resulting not only in individual duress, but also impacting how women in the village go about their daily activities to avoid potential harm,” the CAO report reads.

HAGL declined to respond yesterday, but from the company’s perspective laid out in the May 12 CAO assessment, the agriculture giant maintains it has abided by Cambodia’s laws, though conceded it could have initially done more for villagers evicted to make way for the development.

“The Company recognizes that it had not put greater focus on developmental opportunities for local communities earlier in the development of their operations,” the statement reads.

Affected villages contacted yesterday were not privy to the cases of assault but claimed continued mistreatment at the hands of HAGL workers, including the theft of farming equipment.

“We think that they did this because they did not want us to do any farming on the land that they cleared,” Romam Tham, a farmer from Kak village, said yesterday.

The Post reported last week that HAGL had suspended work on three of its projects in Ratanakkiri from May 1 to November 30. An April 28 company memo instructing the suspension did not detail the reasons for halting work, but noted the response followed a meeting with the IFC’s ombudsman on April 2.

The Washington-based CAO reiterated its message via email that its report states both villagers and HAGL have agreed to a dispute resolution process that the IFC’s ombudsman will facilitate.

HAGL has constantly been at the centre of controversy over its agricultural investments in Cambodia. Last year, UK-based NGO Global Witness published a report accusing the company of illegally logging outside concession areas and of being in possession of at least 47,000 hectares of economic land concessions – almost five times the legal limit.

Eang Vuthy, executive director of NGO Equitable Cambodia, which is working with affected families, said yesterday that having an open dialogue was an important step, but that there was still work to be done in achieving an appropriate resolution.

“It is important to give it a try for all parties to meet and talk,” he said. “If we can’t address the problem we will consider [the] next stage.”

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY MAY KUNMAKARA

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Full country reopening to be decided in two weeks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced that if the Covid-19 situation remains stable for 15 consecutive days from the end of the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, Cambodia will reopen fully, albeit in the context of Covid-19 whereby people have to adjust their lives to

  • Phnom Penh governor: Show Covid-19 vaccination cards, or else

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng late on October 5 issued a directive requiring all people aged 18 and over and the parents of children aged 6-17 to produce Covid-19 vaccination cards when entering schools, markets, malls, marts, eateries and other business establishments that have been permitted

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia seeks probe into 'false reports' on Hun Sen's alleged Cypriot passport

    Minister of Justice Koeut Rith on September 6 wrote a letter to his Cypriot counterpart Stephie Dracos requesting cooperation in investigating and providing the truth in relation to the "exaggerative and false allegations" that Prime Minister Hun Sen holds a Cypriot passport. In his letter, the

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • 'Pandora Papers' expose leaders' offshore millions

    More than a dozen heads of state and government, from Jordan to Azerbaijan, Kenya and the Czech Republic, have used offshore tax havens to hide assets worth hundreds of millions of dollars, according to a far-reaching new investigation by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (