Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Shooting denied

Shooting denied

Shooting denied

Thailand says its soldiers were not responsible for casualties in latest cross-border gunplay

THE Royal Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh released a statement Thursday denying that Thai soldiers were responsible for the injury of a Cambodian who they claimed crossed the Thai-Cambodian frontier to engage in illegal logging in Thailand's Trat province.

"The Thai border patrol soldiers are not aware of any injury to a Cambodian man," the embassy said, adding that on September 5 Thai soldiers were patrolling the border in an area known for its illegal logging and came across five men in Cambodian military uniforms, whom they  tried to capture.

"The Thai soldiers asked the Cambodian men to stop, but they opened fire, and the soldiers counter-attacked. During the firefight, the Cambodian men escaped," the embassy statement said. 

It also noted that after the Cambodians had fled, the Thai soldiers found four pieces of valuable hardwood, known in Khmer as beng. 

Ly Vuoy, Samlot district police chief, told the Post that Morn Meuoth, a 37 year-old Cambodian soldier, was severely injured.

"We don't know about his condition at the moment," Ly Vuoy said. "It is difficult to say who made the mistake, but the incident occurred in the [border's] overlap area. The Thai soldiers should not have opened fire because of an accidental border-crossing."

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa