Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Show licences or ship out, sand dredgers told

Show licences or ship out, sand dredgers told

A sand dredger digs up the riverbed in the capital’s Russei Keo district last month
A sand dredger digs up the riverbed in the capital’s Russei Keo district last month. HENG CHIVOAN

Show licences or ship out, sand dredgers told

Phnom Penh municipal officials have ordered owners of eight sand-dredging companies that continued work despite a mandated moratorium to halt operations and show proof of their licences or shut down for good.

On Saturday, the municipality informed the owners, whose names they declined to release, that they had to show municipal officials the proper documentation by Monday, Phnom Penh Deputy Governor Khuong Sreng told the Post. As of yesterday afternoon, some had not yet presented their licences, he said.

“We ordered them to the Phnom Penh municipality office today to let them show their licences or any legal documents from my department and related ministries after we temporarily closed their operations,” Phnom Penh governor Pa Socheatvong said.

Socheatvong’s order came five days after he ordered a complete suspension of all sand-dredging activities while the municipality investigates whether companies along the Mekong and Tonle Sap rivers are
operating illegally.

A controversial industry in Cambodia, sand dredging is necessary to protect waterways, government officials have maintained. On the other hand, environmental groups say dredging work is done almost exclusively for profit and can be disastrous for ecosystems.

“Some sand-dredging companies have licences, but use poor techniques, which angers residents and environmental advocates,” Socheatvong said.

Several riverbanks in the Meanchey and Russei Keo districts of the capital have collapsed in the past few years, knocking down some homes into the Mekong and severely damaging others. Village representatives have pointed to dredging as the cause. A resident of Russei Keo district’s Chraing Chamreh commune who spoke on the condition of anonymity told the Post yesterday that at least two dredging companies there continued operations after the municipality ordered the moratorium.

“I did not see them stop,” the resident said. “Until now, I’ve still seen them operating with two ferries and five trucks to transfer sand.”

Chraing Chamreh commune chief Peach Saroun said that authorities will check the allegation.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Rise in planned flights lifts travel hopes

    Six airlines have applied to resume flights in December, while two others have put in for additional flights and routes, according to State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) head Mao Havannall on November 29. These account for 43 new weekly domestic and international flights in December, up 16

  • Banteay Meanchey gunfight sees 15 Thais arrested, three officers injured

    The Banteay Meanchey Military Police have arrested 15 Thai suspects and their accomplices after a gun battle between two Thai groups caused injuries to three police officers in the early hours of November 21, local authorities said. National Military Police spokesman Eng Hy said that according to