A fire blazed through an electric wire warehouse located in a Japanese electricity plant in Khnar village of Siem Reap town's Chriev commune on April 15.

No casualties were reported in the incident aside from an unspecified amount of electric wire that were destroyed in the fire which, according to authorities, was likely caused by burning rubbish outside the plant.

The provincial Department of Information said in a Facebook post shared by minister Khieu Kanharith on April 15 that seven fire engines were used to extinguish the flames.

"Many sets of big electric wire were consumed by the fire at the Japanese electricity plant's warehouse.”

The post said it took firefighters nearly two hours to put out the blaze. The fire did not spread to other houses nearby as the plant was properly fenced all around.

Police said in their preliminary report that the fire was likely caused by sparks from burning rubbish outsides of the plant, adding that the extent of the damage has yet to be determined.