Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Siem Reap mine-clearing missions accomplished



Siem Reap mine-clearing missions accomplished

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
More than 100 mines and UXO were destroyed in over 10 months. Banteay Srey District Administration

Siem Reap mine-clearing missions accomplished

Siem Reap officials and the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) announced that with the help of the Peaceland Organisation, Trapeang Thma Village in Khun Ream Commune, Banteay Srei district, is now free of landmines.

More than 100 mines and UXO were destroyed over 10 months.

Banteay Srei district governor Khim Finan told The Post on Tuesday that the demining operation means residents who live in the area are safe.

He said the village served as the first destination to detonate mines and UXOs as the area was a former battlefield during the civil war.

“Because the location has a chronic war history, villagers have often spotted mines and requested help from the authorities to remove them.

“More than 200 families have expressed concern about the problems of mines and they almost don’t dare grow rice on their land. From now on, these villagers have no more problem and can live as normal,” Finan said.

He said 40 mines and 67 UXOs had been uncovered and destroyed in the village, and that the authorities plan to organise demining operations at other communes in the district early next year.

He requested residents to report mines and UXO to the police so that the authorities may carry out operations before any danger befalls the villagers.

CMAA deputy secretary-general Chhiv Lim told The Post on Tuesday that the project cost $180,000 and was donated by Peaceland. Mines have been removed from more than 60ha in the village.

“The project has benefited residents in the area in many ways and farming is also good. Clearing mines across the country will continue, but we stopped collaboration with Peaceland for now due to Covid-19. We will start with them again in early 2021,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said