Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Siem Reap sees sixfold rise in dengue fever

Siem Reap sees sixfold rise in dengue fever

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Phnom Penh authorities carry out a campaign aimed at raising residents’ awareness of dengue fever on Tuesday. Fresh News

Siem Reap sees sixfold rise in dengue fever

From January 1 to June 9, more than 6,000 patients received treatment for dengue fever at hospitals in Siem Reap province, out of whom eight died. The figure represents a sixfold increase compared to the same period last year when there were no casualties.

Bou Sarin, the chairman of the Dengue Fever Programme at the Siem Reap provincial Health Department, told The Post on Tuesday that the worst affected communes in Siem Reap district are Slakram, Kokchak, Sala Kamroeuk and Nokor Thom.

He said that last Wednesday, the provincial Health Department began to spray insecticide to kill mosquitoes at schools, markets and along public roads in those communes.

Some 100 litres of liquid insecticide had been used, he said, out of the 400 litres provided by the Ministry of Health to the province.

“We don’t have enough insecticide for this year because we have sprayed 100 litres already,” Sarin said.

He said all eight of the patients killed by dengue fever this year were children aged between four and 14.

More than 6,000 dengue fever patients have received treatment, Sarin said, of which 2,600 are from Siem Reap province, and the others mostly come from the surrounding provinces such as Kampong Thom.

“The children died because they were brought to the hospital too late,” he said.

National Dengue Disease Control Programme director Leang Rithy told The Post on June 16 that from January 1 to May 19, more than 12,000 dengue fever patients were treated across the country. This is some threefold increase on the same period last year, out of whom 21 died.

Rithy said the 21 deaths were because they had failed to receive treatment at state hospitals and instead took improper treatment at small clinics that did not have specialist doctors.

On Tuesday, deputy Phnom Penh governor Keo Sok Pisey and Phnom Penh Municipal Health Department director Ngy Mean Heng carried out a campaign to educate people to put insecticide in a jar or basin to kill mosquito larvae.

The official Phnom Penh Municipal Health Department Facebook page said it was attempting to teach people how to eliminate mosquito habitats in the capital.

The department also appealed to citizens to help eradicate attractive habitats for mosquitoes by ensuring there was nothing that can hold stagnant water, such as car or motorbike tyres and tin cans.

Separately last Friday, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport also instructed all municipal and provincial education departments to disseminate information on preventative measures against the Aedes aegypti mosquito.

It told them to advise students to wear long-sleeved shirts and trousers, not to play in dark places or bushes and to open doors and windows to provide enough light.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges