Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Siem Reap stops clearing of protected wetlands



Siem Reap stops clearing of protected wetlands

An aerial photo shows burned areas around the Tonle Sap lake in Siem Reap province in 2016.
An aerial photo shows burned areas around the Tonle Sap lake in Siem Reap province in 2016. Alessandro Marazzi Sassoon

Siem Reap stops clearing of protected wetlands

Authorities in Siem Reap province on Monday stopped the clearing of protected wetlands within the Tonle Sap Biosphere Reserve, halting the work of a team that had already cleared one hectare of flooded forest.

The authorities found nine vehicles, including bulldozers, excavators and trucks, and seven people clearing the area in Chreav commune in Siem Reap district. Just a few kilometres from the Boeung Peariang bird sanctuary, an important habitat for endangered species, the area falls within the “buffer zone” of the Unesco-designated biosphere reserve, which by law should receive conservation protection from a patchwork of ministries.

As of Tuesday, officials from the Environment Ministry, Fisheries Administration, Water Resources Ministry, district police and anti-economic crimes police had inspected the site.

Provincial Anti-Economic Crime Police Chief Soeung Sen identified the owner of the vehicles only as “Hak Seng”, who has yet to respond to a summons. Multiple officials declined to comment on whether charges would be brought, and the seven people clearing the land were questioned and released.

Kong Mongkol, director of the Boeung Peariang eco-tourism site, said the clearing had begun on March 11, and that workers had built a road to transport soil out of the area.

Environment Minister Say Samal has previously said illegal land clearing of the wetlands is his “biggest headache”, and past attempts to stop the practice have had little effect.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could