Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Signed up for work, forced into marriage

Signed up for work, forced into marriage

Signed up for work, forced into marriage

An NGO is working to free two Cambodian women forced into marriage in China, a representative of the organisation said yesterday.

Huy Pichsovann, program officer at the Community Legal Education Center (CLEC), said that the two women, aged 22 and 27, were enticed from their Kampong Cham homes in March to accept work in Shanghai.

Once they arrived, however, they were both forced into marriage.

“A broker lured them to go to China, where they were told they would have a job with a high salary, but when they arrived, they were forcibly married to men they do not love,” Pichsovann said.

“One of the women is rarely allowed out of the house, while the other was forced to get a job but the husband keeps her salary.”

The women’s families contacted CLEC in October seeking their help to ensure the girls are released safely.

The mother of one of the women said the offer from the broker had been too good to refuse, but now she is terrified for her daughter’s safety.

“The broker said my daughter would get paid $1,000 a month, so she decided to go because the pay in Cambodia is so much less,” the mother said.

“My daughter is given only little bits of plain noodles and rice to live, while she struggles with the cold,” she said.

CLEC have been in contact with police in Shanghai and have sent the case to the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

“Police are now searching for the broker,” Pichsovann said.

Kuoy Kong, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Meanwhile, a man and three women appeared in court yesterday after being arrested last week on human trafficking charges.

They are accused of ordering two Kratie-based women to pay them $1,600 each after the duo backed out of a plan to be married to Chinese nationals.

Deputy prosecutor of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, Ek Chheng Houth, said he had charged the group and the case had been sent to another judge for further investigation.

“They were officially charged by the court with producing fake documents, buying or selling a human being, human trafficking and sexual exploitation,” he said.

The four suspects and their lawyers could not be reached for comment yesterday.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh