Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sina to face forgery and disinformation charges

Sina to face forgery and disinformation charges

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Collective Union of Movement of Workers president Pav Sina speaks during a press conference in Phnom Penh in January. Pha Lina

Sina to face forgery and disinformation charges

Pav Sina, president of the Collective Union of Movement of Workers, is set to appear at Phnom Penh Municipal Court today to face forgery and disinformation accusations levelled by a hat company.

The union leader confirmed the hearing yesterday, which had been filed by the Southland factory, whose lawyer could not be contacted yesterday.

Sina said he was first summoned in March, but asked for a delay to prepare his defence.

Sina, among the most vocal critics of the new trade union law, which disqualifies people with criminal records from leading unions, said about 20 workers and union members will travel to the court today to show support.

“This is a common issue for me as a union leader working to protect the legitimate rights of workers,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • Shanxi wins bid to build sections of new Siem Reap airport

    Shanxi Mechanization Construction Group recently won the bid to build two sections of the new Siem Reap Angkor International Airport project in Cambodia for 290 million yuan ($42.16 million). The existing Angkor International Airport in Siem Reap, 5km from the famous ancient temple complex and world tourism

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said