Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Singer dies from burns after Sihanoukville nightclub fire

Singer dies from burns after Sihanoukville nightclub fire

A blaze at the LV Disco nightclub on Wednesday night, in which singer Bou Seyha sustained severe burn injuries. Photo supplied
A blaze at the LV Disco nightclub on Wednesday night, in which singer Bou Seyha sustained severe burn injuries. Photo supplied

Singer dies from burns after Sihanoukville nightclub fire

A singer caught in a Wednesday night fire at a popular Sihanoukville nightclub died from his burns on Friday night, according to his 23-year-old widow Chhuon Chantha.

Bou Seyha, 33, was critically injured when a fire engulfed the LV Disco club at midnight on Wednesday. The severity of his burns warranted his transfer from a local referral hospital to the Cho Ray general hospital in Ho Chi Minh City, where, after momentarily regaining consciousness, he ultimately died on Friday.

“When he moved his limbs and talked, he told me that he could see nothing and he said that he could not survive and asked me to look after the children and family well when he is not around anymore,” Chantha said.

She said the funeral had been arranged on Saturday morning in Kandal province with all expenses covered by the club owner. The owner had also covered all the medical and transportation expenses. As such, she said, she would not file a complaint for compensation.

Provincial authorities had created a committee to investigate the fire. As of press time their conclusion was that it was caused by an electrical malfunction, according provincial Deputy Police Chief Bou Sothy.

“We have not found other clues yet, but we have not closed the investigation as well,” he said.