Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Singer will return to Cambodia after assassination attempt



Singer will return to Cambodia after assassination attempt

Singer will return to Cambodia after assassination attempt

121004_03

Singer Pov Panha Pich was shot twice while on her way to attend an English-language school in Phnom Penh in 2007. Photograph supplied

Singer Pov Panha Pich, who fled the country in 2007 after being critically wounded in a brazen assassination attempt, will return to Cambodia soon, because her family has run out of money to pay for further treatment in Thailand, her sister said yesterday.

At the age of 23, the well-known singer and actress was gunned down in Phnom Penh while entering her English school. The masked gunman, riding on the back of a motorbike, shot her once in the neck and once in the abdomen, paralysing her.  

Her assailants were never found, and no suspects named. At the time, then-Municipal Police chief Touch Naroth said officials suspected it was a revenge attack.

In a concurrent diplomatic cable published by WikiLeaks, then-US Ambassador Joseph Mussomeli wrote of the attack: “Rumors suggest that the entertainer was romantically linked to a high-level government official, and National Police Commissioner Hok Lundy has been named as a possible love interest.”

Pov Sotheary, Panha Pich’s older sister, said yesterday the family had run out of money for the singer’s treatment and rental home and likely she would be forced to return to Cambodia.

“The exact date is unsure and she is still frightened for her safety,” added Sotheary, noting that no leads had been made in the case.

National Police spokesman Kirt Chantharith and Ministry of Interior spokesman Khieu Sopheak could not be reached for comment.

National Military Police spokesman Kheng Tito said he had not looked into the case but would consider investigating.

The case of Panha Pich followed a number of headline-making assaults on popular singers and actresses who were widely believed to have been involved with high-ranking officials.

To contact the reporters on this story: Sou Vuthy at [email protected]
Seth Kimsouern at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting