Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Six CNRP officials summonsed over alleged Takeo election feud with CPP




Six CNRP officials summonsed over alleged Takeo election feud with CPP

CPP supporters campaign on motorbikes last month in Takeo province. Six CNRP members were summonsed yesterday at the Takeo Provincial Court over a confrontation between rival political rallies in the province’s Prey Khla commune. Facebook
CPP supporters campaign on motorbikes last month in Takeo province. Six CNRP members were summonsed yesterday at the Takeo Provincial Court over a confrontation between rival political rallies in the province’s Prey Khla commune. Facebook

Six CNRP officials summonsed over alleged Takeo election feud with CPP

Six opposition officials yesterday appeared at the Takeo Provincial Court for questioning about a complaint accusing them of defamation, insults and “incitement” over a confrontation that took place in Koh Andet district during the campaign for the June 4 commune elections.

Keo Eath, the CNRP’s deputy chief for Prey Khla commune, where the confrontation took place, and fellow opposition commune councillors Morm Saroeun, Hem Korn, Chun Choeun, Sun Savoeurn and Sok Sang, were summonsed over a dispute that took place on May 20, said Sang.

Eath said that the prosecutor asked them to explain what happened on May 20 and that the group denied accusations made against them that they had started a verbal fight with officials from the Cambodian People’s Party and had blocked them from campaigning.

“They scolded us, scolded our mothers, and I couldn’t [take] it, that is why I replied back and said ‘stupid’,” Eath said, adding that the group had asked the prosecutor to consider closing the case without charges.

The complaint was filed by CPP Commune Chief Pich Chim, and the court was still considering whether to proceed with any charges, according to Phann Sopheak, a spokesman for court Prosecutor Tep Munin.

“We just questioned them,” Sopheak said, adding that Munin was now seeking evidence about the campaign dispute from both sides. “We haven’t charged them yet. If they have evidence, the prosecutor will summons them [again]. Now, they have not given evidence.”

He said the court would decide whether to pursue the case after the officials are given adequate time to submit evidence. However, Sang, one of the six, said that finding such exculpatory evidence could be hard.

“We don’t have evidence, because we didn’t know they were going to file a complaint against us,” Sang said, explaining that the six officials were the only witnesses to the May 20 dispute of whom they were aware.

Pich Chim, the CPP commune chief who filed the complaint, said that his side had all the evidence it needed to prove its claims about what happened on May 20 and would continue to pursue the case in court.

“We have a video,” Chim said, accusing the six officials of being disingenuous in their account of what happened in the dispute.

“I am not going to withdraw the complaint. If they know we are both working for the same common interests, why would they block us?”

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old