Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Six women abused as maids, brides return



Six women abused as maids, brides return

Six women abused as maids, brides return

Six Cambodian women rescued from allegedly abusive conditions in China and Malaysia were returned home yesterday after the Ministry of Foreign Affairs intervened in their cases, officials said.

Two women – Soa Kimey and Len Chenda, both from Kampong Cham province – were returned to the country yesterday from China, where they had been trafficked and sold to Chinese men as “brides”, while the other four were returned from Malaysia, where they had been working as maids.

Sending maids to Malaysia was banned in 2011 after consistent reports of abuses, including rape and murder.

While it was not clear when the women were sent to Malaysia, their employment was arranged by a local Cambodian recruiter.

Chum Sonry, spokesman for the Foreign Ministry, said the women had been mistreated by Malaysian company Comy Venture Cleaning Services.

“They were mistreated and suffered difficult working conditions, including low salaries.

They wanted to come back home, so we returned them,” he said.

In a report for the first six months of the year, local rights group Adhoc said it had received 74 cases of abusive work practices abroad, which included 438 individual victims.

As well as a number of cases involving women trafficked into marriage in China, 35 cases were reported in Malaysia and 21 in Thailand.

Chhan Sokunthea, head of Adhoc’s women’s section, warned Cambodian women to “please be careful before deciding to work abroad”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there

  • Cambodia lauded for fight against Covid-19

    Cambodia has drawn global accolades for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a new report finding that the Kingdom has controlled the pandemic better than any other country in Asia. Dr Takeshi Kasai, director of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Western Pacific region,