Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - SL factory owners deny agreement

SL factory owners deny agreement

SL factory owners deny agreement

Just as a solution to a two-week-long dispute at two SL Garment factories seemed over on Saturday, the company’s owner issued a statement refusing to recognise an agreement that had lured more than 5,000 employees back to work.

The protesters, who walked out of the SL Garment Processing (Cambodia)’s factories in the capital on March 12, resumed work on Saturday believing they would be paid for the strike period, Ek Sopheakdey, legal officer at the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers’ Democratic Union, said.

Workers, management and Ministry of Social Affairs officials signed an agreement on a range of points on Friday, including that bosses withdraw complaints against union officials and that workers accept rent and travel allowances of $7 per month, he said.

Upon returning to work on Saturday, however, they had discovered 23 of their representatives were not allowed back.

“The employer [also] did not withdraw complaints against them [and] was unwilling to negotiate,” Ek Sopheakdey said.

SL Garment issued a statement on Saturday denying it had reached an agreement.

“There was no document signed by the company’s management during the May 25 meeting,” the statement, signed by Singaporean owner Wong Hon Ming, reads.

Ea Chip Ieng, personnel manager at SL Garment, said a document had been signed, but it had not been an agreement.

“That is a meeting note,” he said. “It is not an agreement between the employer and workers.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Chhay Channyda at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a