Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Slain journalist's mother seeks justice

Slain journalist's mother seeks justice

Slain journalist's mother seeks justice

A journalist murdered in Ratanakkiri last week took a call from his accused killer on the night of his disappearance, his family has claimed in a complaint to the rights group Adhoc.

Ken Sovann, 63, the mother of slain journalist Hang Serei Oudom, whose body was found in his car in O’Chum district last Tuesday, will lodge the same complaint with the provincial court today, asking for US$100,000 compensation and demanding that those responsible, including accomplices, be punished.

“Please find justice for my son,” Sovann said yesterday, adding that she feared for her safety.

Military police captain An Bunheng, also known as Eng, and his wife Sim Vy, from Banlung town, were charged on Sunday with the premeditated murder of Oudom, a journalist with the Vorakchun Khmer newspaper, and ordered into pre-trial detention.

According to the complaint, which includes thumbprints from Sovann and Oudom’s wife, Im Chanthym, Bunheng called Oudom at 7pm on September 9, just before he left his house for a meeting.

The following day, the complaint states, Oudom’s wife went to Bunheng’s house in Boeung Kanseng commune in search of her husband. Bunheng, however, told her he had not seen him.

The same day, Oudom’s 15-year-old daughter called him about 7pm.

He explained to her that he was busy, before she heard another voice speaking to her father in the background.

“What do you want?” Oudom asked. “It’s nothing. Wait and see,” the voice said, according to the complaint.

An article Oudom wrote in Vorakchun Khmer on September 6 alleged a military police officer, the son of a provincial military police commander, was involved in illegal logging.

Adhoc investigator Chhay Thi said police and Adhoc staff had found the victim’s shoes and bloodstained blankets at the suspects’ house, which doubles as a karaoke parlour.

Defence lawyer Tep Monycheath, however, said police did not have enough evidence to convict his clients.

To contact the reporter on this story: Chhay Channyda at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from