Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - SMF defends funding cuts to partner NGO



SMF defends funding cuts to partner NGO

SMF defends funding cuts to partner NGO

The Somaly Mam Foundation (SMF) has said its decision to cut off funding to Agir Pour Les Femmes en Situation Precaire (Afesip) came partly because of the continued involvement of embattled anti-human-trafficking activist Somaly Mam in the local NGO.

In a statement on Monday, the SMF states the decision to terminate funds to its local affiliate Afesip last month was also shaped by a “deep reduction” in 2014 donations.

“In addition, AFESIP’s leadership has indicated that SMF’s former President continues to act in a decision-making capacity, but has not been specific or transparent about her actual role in expending funds or directing AFESIP’s operations,” the statement reads.

But Uong Chheng, an Afesip program director, denied Mam was still involved and said that since Monday, 39 staff had been fired due to the funding cut.

“Ms Somaly Mam has nothing to do with Afesip. Why would [SMF] decide to cut funding without informing us?” Chheng said.

In a statement on Friday, 20 employees of Afesip condemned the funding cuts.

Afesip Cambodia was founded in 1996 by Mam, who resigned from SMF in May after Newsweek published an article alleging key parts of her story had been fabricated.

An absence of any “formal board structure or accountability” at Afesip is also highlighted by the foundation as “problematic”. Key areas requiring improvement at Afesip that were outlined in a 2013 memo issued in May were never addressed, which also influenced the decision, the foundation adds.

“We have only recently learned that AFESIP has made no significant progress on these requirements, and as a result we have had to reassess our relationship,” the statement reads. It adds that the foundation will continue to offer interim financial assistance to ensure the needs of those it helps are met during this period.

The SMF informed the organisation on June 12 that all funding was to be terminated immediately, according to a statement posted to Afesip’s website last Wednesday by executive director Chhoeurth Sao, who could not be reached yesterday despite repeated calls.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could